14 Ways to Add Happiness to Your Day
Every day has its ups and downs, but sometimes you might find more downs than ups! Rather than waiting around for things to change, you can make an active effort to add a little happiness to your day.
Sometimes it might take a big effort, but most of the time all you have to do is something simple to completely change how your day turns out.
1. Watch your kids or loved ones. Instead of focusing on yourself, take some time to place your attention on the people you love. Simply observe them and think about how much you appreciate the fact that they’re in your life. Remember to tell them how much they are loved and appreciated.
2. Treat Yourself. Go out for ice cream. While it’s not a good idea to indulge all the time, it’s definitely okay once in a while. Grab your favorite treat whether it’s ice cream, a smoothie, or even Starbucks.
3. Call your best friend. A phone call with a close friend is a great way to pass some time in a way that is comfortable and familiar to you. You can think about old times or enjoy planning something fun for the future. Good friends are hard to come by so show your appreciation and let them know how much they mean to you. When we make other people happy we feel happy too.
4. Enjoy nature. Take in nature by watching the world around you. Go for a stroll in your local park and notice the colors and textures of all the beautiful trees and plants. Stop and listen to the birds, you’ll be amazed by their sounds.
5. Take a hot bath. This is a great way to bring happiness to your day, especially if you’ve found the day stressful. Light some scented candles to include the benefits of aromatherapy to the relaxing warmth of the bath. Be like a child and play with the bubbles, there is an inner child in all of us you just have to remember to reconnect.
6. Take a nap. Feeling low can make you feel tired, don’t fight it. Take an afternoon nap if you can, it may be just what you’re looking for. Even 15 minutes of shut-eye can help you feel more energized and happy.
7. Play a sport. Gather your friends and have a friendly competition. Sports are a fun way to get some exercise and relieve stress. Try bowling it’s fun and not too strenuous.
8. Snuggle up with your partner. Take the time to appreciate your partner and snuggle up for some couple-time. It’s a great way to reconnect, especially if you’ve been really busy.
10. Be lazy. Sometimes you might not feel as happy as you’d like because you expect too much from yourself. Take some time to simply be lazy, with no responsibilities, and give yourself time to recoup.
11. Listen to your favorite song(s). Whether it’s Beethoven or Boy George, Take That or Beyonce, your favorite song is bound to brighten up your day. Bring out your iPod or music player and start cranking up the tunes.
12. Make casual conversation. Strike up some lively conversations with strangers. If you’re friendly and happy towards them, they’ll likely be the same to you. A smile costs nothing and can really make a difference to your mood and those around you.
13. Be thankful. Reflect on all the things that you’re grateful for in your life and write them down. You might be surprised at how long your list is! Sometimes changing your focus to what’s going right in your life is all you need to turn that frown upside down. Things are never as bad as we think they are, our minds just go into overdrive wanting to fix things when really you just need to sit back and let life take charge.
14. Enjoy time with your pets. Pets are part of the family too. Snuggle up with your pet for some quality time together. A man’s best friend is his dog, they don’t judge, or even better they don’t answer you back.
Always remember that the list is endless when it comes to ways to brighten your day. Be creative and try new activities that you might like. Most importantly, seek a way to enjoy each moment, and your life will be filled with new happiness.